Excursion TOK2 - 7.5 Hours - £110pp
Kamakura is a seaside Japanese city just south of Tokyo. The political centre of medieval Japan, modern-day Kamakura is a prominent resort town with dozens of Buddhist Zen temples and Shinto shrines. Its most recognizable landmark is the Kotoku-in Temple’s Great Buddha, a roughly 13m-high bronze statue still standing after a 15th-century tsunami.
Hasedera is a temple of the Jodo sect, famous for its eleven-headed statue of Kannon, the goddess of mercy. The 9.18 metre tall, gilded wooden statue is regarded as one of the largest wooden sculpture in Japan and can be viewed in the temple's main building, the Kannon-do Hall. According to legend, it was carved from the same tree as the similarly tall Kannon statue worshiped at the Hasedera Temple in Nara Prefecture.
Tsurugaoka Hachimangū is the most important Shinto shrine in the city of Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan. The shrine is at the geographical and cultural centre of the city of Kamakura, which has largely grown around it and its 1.8 km approach.
Free time will be given to enjoy walking around this relaxed city, browsing the shops and taking lunch (at your own expense) in one of the many restaurants. For those wishing to get around the city by rickshaw, this can be arranged via the guide on the day for an additional charge (approximate prices in 2018 - per 2 persons, 1.2km - 12-13minutes: ¥4,000, 30-Min tour: ¥7,000, 60-Min tour: ¥13,000, 120-Min tour: ¥23,500).
- Coach transfer to/from Kamakura
- Panoramic city sightseeing by private charter coach
- Experienced and knowledgeable Japanese/English speaking guide
- Entrance to the Kotoku-in Temple’s to see the Great Buddha
- Visit Hasedera temple
- Entrance and visit of Tsurugaoka Hachimangū
- Free time for shopping and lunch (lunch is at our own expense)
- Opportunity to take a rickshaw ride (this is at an additional cost payable on the day)
Available when travelling on tour:
- AB AC AE AF AH - excursion departure 08 October
- AA AB AC AH AI CA CC CJ PB - excursion departure 09 October
- CA CC PB - excursion departure 10 October
- CH CI CJ FA FC FD FE FG FH IC ID IE IH PA - excursion departure 25 October
- AA FE FG IA IB IG - excursion departure 30 October
£110pp - Use the Excursion Booking Form link to make your booking
View all excursions